Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Throwing away uneaten food is OK

One of the most difficult things I had to adjust to was to throw away the food that my kids were not able to eat at dinner. I have 4 kids and my 3 girls would take a bite or two out of a fantastic burger that I grilled that night leaving most of it in pristine condition sitting on their plates. I used to eat my burger, all of their remaining burgers and maybe an extra one, just for good luck :-).

I grew up with 7 kids in my family and we always had plenty to eat but I developed a competitive attitude regarding food. Not that we were forced to 'eat everything' but if you liked something you hurried to get an extra portion before it was gone. Soon I became good at it.

When I started eating right I talked with Elizabeth and the kids and told them if they had food left on the plate after dinner they were to run water on it and put it down the disposal right away so I would not be tempted. It was really difficult for a bunch of reasons but it proved to be vital early on while I was breaking old habits.

So, don't be afraid to put 'good money' down the drain, it may be the best money you spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment